Here's everything you need to know to get checked in.
Due to border restrictions, online check-in for some international flights may not be available. If this is the case, check-in will need to be manually completed at the airport. Please make sure you give yourself plenty of time at the airport to complete the check-in process and clear security.
Your international check-in time depends on your particular flight. Some flights close check-in 90 minutes before departure. Others can be 120 minutes beforehand.
You can find the exact time on the Air NZ mobile app, your check-in email or on your e-ticket.
Remember, this is when check-in and bag drop closes. Give yourself enough time to arrive well before then. There could be queues, or you might be delayed on your way to the airport. You also need to give yourself enough time to go through security screening and customs.
Note: If the first flight in your itinerary is operated by a partner airline. You'll need to check in at the partner airline's check-in desk or website.
It's very important you have all your documentation. It's illegal to board your flight without it.
- Your ticket, either printed or electronic
- Your passport, valid for at least six months. Check if the countries you're visiting have other passport requirements
- Your visas, if required by the countries you're visiting
- Your health declaration, if required by the countries you're visiting
- Your test and vaccination documentation, as required by the countries you're visiting and transiting through. Ensure that your vaccine certificate is intended for international travel.
Entry requirements differ between countries. Before you check in, we recommend that you ensure that you meet all travel requirements for each country you're visiting or transiting through.
There are special entry and transit requirements when travelling to the United States. Be sure you have all the documentation you need before checking in. Note that regardless of vaccination status, all passengers must show a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 1 day before travel to the United States.
Some airports let you check in to international flights online. You'll need to confirm your visa details as well as your test and vaccination documentation online first.
Find out more about preparing to travel.
Three ways to check in
Skip the queues and use the self-service kiosks.
First, scan your machine-readable passport (these have two lines of letters, numbers and symbols below your personal information).
Then confirm your seats, and print your boarding passes and bag tags. Attach the labels to your bags and take them to the bag drop. You're ready to go through security.
You can use self-serve kiosks if you're flying from:
- Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown
- Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane
- Los Angeles and Hong Kong.
Flying with a partner airline? Check in at the partner airlines departure desks.
Sometimes you have to check in at the airport
We can't always offer online or mobile check-in.
You'll need to check in at the airport if:
- The airport you're departing from doesn't accept home-printed or mobile boarding passes. These airports include Singapore's Changi International and Bali's Ngurah Rai International
- You're flying out of Niue. You'll need to check-in at the airport at least two hours before your flight departs
- If you need special assistance
- If you're a child travelling alone.
Remember, you can only check in if you hold the correct entry and transit requirements, such as a visa, ESTA or proof of onward travel as well as test and vaccination documentation.
Checking in your bags
Once you've checked in online, it's easy to check in your bags when you arrive at the airport. Use one of our self-service kiosks to print your bag tags. Tag your bags and take them to the bag drop. Easy.
Remember, bag drop closes when check-in closes, so make sure you allow enough time.
Still waiting for your upgrade?
If you've requested an upgrade and haven't heard from us yet, please check in as normal. It won't cancel your upgrade.
If your upgrade comes through at the last minute, we'll let you know at the gate and give you a new boarding pass.