Air New Zealand OneUp™ terms and conditions
Your OneUp offer
You may submit an offer to travel in the next available cabin class, up until 3 days (72 hours) prior to your scheduled Air New Zealand flight departure. The value of your request is the additional amount you are willing to pay for the upgrade. Your nominated form of payment will only be charged if your offer is successful.
Your OneUp offer is for all passengers named in your original booking. It is not possible to upgrade some members of your travelling party and not others.
OneUp offers are valid for flights that are operated by Air New Zealand only. OneUp is not available for travel on any other carrier including codeshare carriers and our alliance carrier partners.
Changing or cancelling your OneUp offer
You may make changes to or cancel your OneUp offer provided your offer has not yet been accepted and that this is done at least 3 days (72 hours) before your scheduled flight departure. In the event your offer is accepted, you will not be able to cancel the offer or be eligible for a refund (unless your situation meets the criteria for refunds - see the "limited refunds" section below).
Accepting your OneUp offer
We will consider and decide whether to accept your OneUp offer between 5 and 3 days before your scheduled flight departure.
If at this point your offer has not been successful, you will either receive a notification via email of your unsuccessful upgrade or that your offer will be reviewed again at 8 hours prior to departure.
On selected flights, if we are still unable to upgrade you at 8 hours prior to departure, we will endeavor to upgrade you post check-in, if seats become available (see At Airport Upgrades).
If we accept your OneUp offer we will charge the full amount of your OneUp offer to your selected method of payment (including where relevant, your Airpoints™ account).
You will be notified of an unsuccessful OneUp offer via email. No payment will be made to your selected method of payment.
We reserve the right to decide whether or not to accept your OneUp offer at our sole discretion. The criteria that we use for assessing and considering offers includes (but is not limited to):
- The value of your offer
- The cabin class of your original booking
- Your Airpoints tier status
- The number of seats available in the next available cabin class
- The number of passengers in your original booking
At Airport Upgrades
On selected flights* there will be a final review at the airport up to 1 hour before departure. If your offer is accepted, you will receive all on board benefits of the cabin class that you have upgraded to, but you will not receive the pre-boarding benefits such as additional baggage, premium check-in, priority baggage, seat select and lounge access. You will be notified of your successful offer by Air New Zealand staff members at the departure gate. If we accept your OneUp offer, we will charge the full amount of your OneUp offer to your selected method of payment (including where relevant, your Airpoints™ account).
OneUp Skycouch offers will continue to be reviewed at 8 hours before departure.
*At airport upgrades are available between Auckland and Hong Kong, Auckland and Houston, Auckland and Los Angeles, Auckland and Perth, Auckland and San Francisco, Auckland and Singapore and Auckland and Vancouver.
Additional products purchased at time of original booking may not be able to be provided
If your OneUp offer is accepted, you should be aware that we may not be able to provide additional flight related products that you purchased at the time of your original booking if it cannot be transferred to your upgraded cabin class. This includes, for example, paid seat select where the upgraded cabin class does not offer the same ability to select seats, or extra baggage where it is not possible to increase baggage allowances further. You will not be refunded in this case.
OneUp offers cannot be made in certain circumstances
Unfortunately, we cannot accept OneUp offers in the following circumstances:
- If you have booked a Skycouch™
- If an unaccompanied minor will be travelling
- If your booking is for 10 or more passengers
- If you are booked on an other airlines ticket
- If the cabin class you are booked as part of your original booking cannot be upgraded due to a higher cabin class not being offered on the flight (for example 'economy' is the only cabin class available on New Zealand domestic flights and cannot therefore be upgraded)
- If you or one of the passengers in your booking has had a MEDA form submitted in respect of their travel with Air New Zealand (MEDA forms address medical needs and requirements)
- If you will be travelling on Companion tickets, Star Awards tickets, travel industry tickets, or tickets that you have won in a prize or promotion
- If Air New Zealand considers that you or any passenger in your booking should, for safety, health or security reasons, be seated in a specific area of the aircraft
If your OneUp offer is accepted, you will be entitled to the baggage allowance for the cabin class that you have upgraded to. This baggage allowance will also be applied to your connecting flights, provided they are operated by Air New Zealand. If your OneUp offer is accepted after check-in, you will retain your original ticketed allowance.
If your OneUp offer is accepted, the fare rules that apply to your original ticket will remain in effect and shall apply to your upgraded flight. This includes any rules relating to changes or cancellations, Airpoints or other frequent flyer accruals.
We do not guarantee or represent that your OneUp offer will be accepted. We accept no liability to you or to any passengers in your booking if your offer is not accepted.
Once your OneUp offer has been accepted, we will only refund your OneUp payment in the following limited circumstances:
- If you were carried on your scheduled flight (or on an alternative flight if your scheduled flight was cancelled) in the same cabin class that you booked as part of your original booking, and not in a higher cabin class
- If you cancelled your OneUp flight and we issued you with a refund for the flight (if you held a fully refundable ticket)
We will not refund, credit or exchange your OneUp payment in any other circumstance. Air New Zealand reserves the right not to refund if a you elect not to proceed with their upgrade once confirmed - for example, if you change your mind about purchasing the upgrade.
Laws of New Zealand apply
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New Zealand without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law. Both you and we, consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of New Zealand in connection with any legal action that may arise in respect of your offer for an opportunity to upgrade.
Changes to these terms and conditions
We may make changes to these OneUp terms and conditions from time to time. When we make changes, we will update the OneUp terms and conditions on our website. We will also specify the date of the last update.