Cookies are small pieces of data that a website adds to your browser when you visit the website and interact with it. Cookies collect a small amount of information which allow websites to recognise your device and preferences and are typically used to improve your online experience. This information does not usually directly identify you but could be linked with other information which does. Information collected via cookies may be considered personal information about you under various data protections laws.
Air New Zealand may use cookie technology to collect information about you, including technical information about your device (e.g., screen size or model), IP address, the browser you use, and your broad geographic location (e.g., country or city-level location). While we primarily use cookie technology on our websites, we may also use other similar tracking technologies within our mobile app.
This policy should be read in conjunction with our privacy statement, which explains how we collect your personal information, what we do with it, and your rights in respect of it.
- Operate our websites efficiently and with a high level of functionality;
- Recognise when you log in and what your preferred settings are;
- Give you a browsing experience that is unique to you and to serve you content to improve your experience with us;
- Analyse how you engage with us, which helps us to improve your overall experience, troubleshoot any problems and to monitor our websites' performance; and
- Create profiles about you and about our customers generally, to serve you better and to find ways to improve our services, loyalty programme, apps, and websites. These profiles also help us to provide you with more relevant and personalised experiences.
Similarly, within our mobile app, we use limited tracking technology to deliver the app's functionality – such as pushing relevant service notifications to your mobile – and to understand at an aggregate level how our customers engage with the app so that we can improve its performance. Where our app directs customers to our mobile website, cookies may be used in accordance with this policy.
2. Types of cookies we use
Cookies come in different flavours. Air New Zealand has four varieties of cookies which operate on our websites:
- Strictly necessary: These cookies enable essential functions of our websites and are necessary so that visitors can navigate our websites with ease and use fundamental features. For example, these include cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our websites and make purchases. They also allow us to balance traffic to our websites to ensure reliable service and to assist with keeping our sites secure. Without these cookies, some of our websites' functions and services would not be available to you.
- Functional: These cookies enable our websites to provide enhanced functionality. For example, these include cookies that remember you have logged in to your Airpoints account and prevent you having to sign in repeatedly as you navigate around our site. We also use these cookies to allow us to test different webpage designs and features before rolling them out permanently for all users. We also use functional cookies to allow our customers to tell us how they are experiencing our website through in-page customer surveys. These cookies may be set by Air New Zealand or by third-party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, then these services may not function properly.
- Performance: These cookies assist us in understanding how our websites are performing by collecting analytics on how many visitors use our websites, where they have come from, which parts of our sites are most popular, and how they navigate our site. We use this information to improve our websites and provide better online experiences. We may also use this information to improve our marketing practices, such as understanding the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns and to personalise the marketing you receive based on how you have interacted with our websites. These cookies may be placed on our website by us or by our trusted third parties.
- Marketing: These cookies are used to help us and our partners deliver tailored advertising. We use the information collected through these cookies to assist us in making our websites, apps, and advertising on other third-party websites more relevant to you. For example, we may use information about your previous flights, online interactions and preferences to present you with relevant offers on our sites and others as you browse the internet. We may use the information obtained via marketing cookies in combination with other information we know about you to do this. These cookies may be placed on our websites by us or by our trusted third parties. We also use these cookies to understand the effectiveness of our advertising.
3. Cookies set by third parties
For example, we use web analytics services from Google Analytics. Google utilises the data it collects via cookies on our websites with data collected across other Google services. To find about more about how Google collects and processes data, see Google's Privacy & Terms. Adobe Audience Manager, Hotjar, Optimizely, Medallia and Plusgrade are also examples of third-party providers that may set cookies on our site. This is not an exhaustive list, and we frequently review the third-party service providers we work with.
Air New Zealand may also partner with other travel and retail service providers to expand the products and services available to you. These may include, for example, car rental companies, travel insurance providers, and hotel and flight aggregators. Where these providers directly collect and manage your personal information, they will have their own cookie statements and preference controls which you can access from them directly.
4. How to control cookie settings on your computer
If you would like to block some or all of the cookies on our website from being downloaded onto your computer or device, you can do this by manually adjusting the cookie settings on your internet browser.
If you choose to block some or all of the cookies on our website, parts of our website may not function correctly or at all. This means that we may not be able to offer our web services to you. For example, you may not be able to search for a flight, make a new booking, change an existing booking, or complete other transactions online that would normally be available on our website.
Please note, cookies are set across devices, not at a customer-level. This means you may be required to set your preferences across your desktop, mobile and any other device you use to visit our websites. Additionally, not all marketing messages are targeted using information obtained via cookies so even if you elect to suppress marketing cookies you may continue to experience Air New Zealand marketing even after you have updated your preferences. Relatedly, if you wish to opt out of email marketing, please request so here.
For more information on how to control your cookie settings and browser settings on your computer, and how to delete cookies on your hard drive, please visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.youronlinechoices.eu.
5. Translations and changes to this statement
To assist our international customers, we have translated this statement into several other languages. If there is any uncertainty between the English version and a translation, the English version will prevail and you should refer to the English version.
We may change this statement from time to time, to reflect how we collect, use, or store your information. If we make significant changes to our processes, then we will take appropriate steps to bring this to your attention. We will also specify the date of the last update.