Norfolk Island entry & transit requirements
International arrival and departures from Norfolk Island
All foreign nationals arriving at Norfolk Island from an overseas location and departing from Norfolk Island to an overseas location will be subject to Australian immigration requirements in accordance with the Australian Migration Act 1958 and the Migration Regulations 1994.
- Australian citizens will be required to hold a valid national passport/travel document
- Non-citizens will be required to hold a valid passport/travel document as well as a valid visa to meet Australia's entry requirements
Domestic travel between Norfolk Island and mainland Australia
Travel between Norfolk Island and mainland Australia will be classed as domestic travel however airlines will continue to depart from the International terminals. Therefore, all travellers are required to complete customs formalities on departure and arrival into Norfolk Island and mainland Australia, where their identity will be verified against their travel documentation.
- A valid passport continues to be the preferred and highly recommended method of identification, for all foreign nationals as well as Australian citizens
- Other acceptable forms of photo ID are Australian Government issued IDs such as motor vehicle drivers' licenses, departmental identity cards or an official document verifying their ID
- Minors (without ID) may travel accompanied by an adult who has appropriate documentation
- Unaccompanied minors (without ID) will require their parent or guardians' details to be recorded on the back of the boarding pass to assist with the verification of their identity at Customs processing
Anyone travelling without a valid passport or alternative form of photo ID will experience delays at Customs processing, and may have other implications for duty free and emergencies.
Australia to Norfolk Island Border Restrictions
Due to COVID-19 some border restrictions remain in place between certain states of Australia and Norfolk Island. For those who are allowed to travel, Norfolk Island Regional Council require all passengers to complete and obtain an online Entry Pass 24 to 72 hours prior to flight departure. More info.