Travel within New Zealand
Before you travel with us, please make sure you meet both the New Zealand government's travel requirements under the COVID-19 Protection Framework (or 'traffic light system') and Air New Zealand's Domestic Vaccination policy which came into effect on 14 December 2021.
All passengers over the age of 12 years and three months must show proof of full vaccination status or a negative COVID-19 test before checking in on domestic flights. Find out what you need to know about the vaccination and testing requirements.
If you're travelling within the next 24 hours:
It's a busy time of year to travel, so please arrive at the airport with plenty of time to complete check-in and bag drop.
If you feel sick, are awaiting a COVID-19 test result, are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, or have been asked to isolate, please do not travel.
Please note: face masks or coverings are a legal requirement on all domestic flights in all traffic light levels.
What you need to know
- Official proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Travel within New Zealand is easier when you can present a My Vaccine Pass. See how travel works if you have a My Vaccine Pass
- A negative COVID-19 test result, from a test taken within 72 hours of your flight's scheduled departure; either in the form of a text message or a copy of your laboratory results. See how travel works if you don't have a My Vaccine Pass
Note: International travel requirements are different. Find out how to prepare for international travel.
No, but if you are unable to provide proof of full vaccination status, you'll need to present proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of departure. We don't want to leave anyone behind, which is why we're giving you the choice to either be fully vaccinated or present a negative test. If you need more information, check out our vaccination and testing FAQs.
Children under the age of 12 do not need to provide proof of vaccination or testing.
The Air New Zealand Domestic Vaccination policy came into effect on 14 December for an initial trial period until 31 March 2022. We will review this policy in March 2022.
Our requirements for either a full vaccination status or a negative COVID-19 test prior to departure provide an extra layer of protection.
For everyone's wellbeing and to reduce physical contact, we recommend checking-in online or via the Air NZ mobile app. Online check-in is available 24 hours before the departure of your flight. You can download the Air NZ mobile app here. We're also taking extra measures to keep everyone safe.
Before you fly
You can use your My Vaccine Pass QR code as proof of eligibility to check in online or at the airport.
- Record your vaccination status for all your upcoming New Zealand domestic flights by scanning or uploading the My Vaccine Pass QR code to your Airpoints profile
- Follow these steps to do this online or within the latest version of the Air NZ mobile app
- When you opt to save your status, we'll automatically apply it to your future domestic bookings
- You can now check in online and won't need to show your vaccine pass at the airport
If you're not an Airpoints member
- Add your vaccination status by uploading your My Vaccine Pass QR code at online check-in which opens 24 hours before your flight departs
- You'll need to do this before each flight
- We recommend that you join Airpoints so you can keep a travel profile for future ease of travel
If you have a printed copy of your My Vaccine Pass and don't want to upload it, you can present it at the airport; either scan it at the kiosk, or the check-in counter.
You will need to check in at the airport with either official proof of vaccination or your negative COVID-19 test results.
If you have not completed a full vaccine course, please:
- Get a COVID-19 pre-departure test within 72 hours of your flight's departure
- You will need to check in at the airport (not online)
- Bring the official proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (either a text message or a copy of your laboratory results)
- We recommend you arrive at the airport at least 60 minutes before your flight departs to complete check-in at the service counter
If you're travelling as a group, you'll need each passenger over the age of 12 years and 3 months to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result.
We're allowing a three-month grace period for 12-year-old children to receive their full course of vaccination.
For vaccinated passengers, you'll need to provide the My Vaccine Passes of all travellers you wish to check in. If you have multiple passengers on your booking, you can upload their passes when online check-in opens for your flight.
Anyone without a My Vaccine Pass will need to check in at the airport.
How to show proof
Proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test will be required during the check-in process.
Keeping you safe while travelling
High touch surfaces are cleaned regularly, and we take extra steps to ensure all our aircraft, lounges and airports are frequently cleaned. Hand sanitiser is readily available. In addition, here's what we are also doing to help you travel safely.