Many women fly when pregnant and have no difficulties.
We recommend that you discuss your travel plans with your doctor or midwife.
- If you are carrying one baby and the pregnancy is uncomplicated, with medical clearance from your midwife or doctor you can travel up to the end of the 35th week for flights over 5 hours and to the end of the 37th week for flights under 5 hours
- For multiple pregnancies (e.g. twins) you can travel up to the end of the 31st week
A medical clearance is required if any of the following apply to you:
- You have a complicated pregnancy such as placenta previa or bleeding
- You have a multiple pregnancy such as twins/triplets and are travelling beyond the start of the 32nd week
- You have a history of premature labour
- You are in the early stages of labour
- You are travelling beyond the start of 36th week of pregnancy on a flight longer than 5 hours
- You are travelling beyond the start of the 38th week of pregnancy on any flight
Important: travelling on other airlines
If you are travelling on other airlines, including Air New Zealand's extensive network of partner airlines, you will need to check and comply with the other airlines' regulations. Your travel agent will be able to assist you.
If you are beyond your 28th week, we recommend you carry a letter from your doctor or midwife confirming your pregnancy dates, that there are no complications and that they believe you are fit for travel.
If you are travelling internationally in the late stages of pregnancy, please consider the possibility of early labour occurring during any stopover. We have seen occasions where this happens and causes considerable distress - and often unexpected expense - for the mother. Our advice is to travel well ahead of the date your baby is due and to take out travel insurance.
While onboard we recommend you drink plenty of water (you may want to purchase additional water to bring with you once you have cleared security: refer to the restrictions on liquids). Go for plenty of walks where permitted and if at all possible, elevate your legs.